How do you really help a friend with depression?

Welcome Forums Mental How do you really help a friend with depression?

This topic contains 3 replies, has 4 voices, and was last updated by  Sven Hunski 9 months, 3 weeks ago.

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)
  • Author

omegaraiki
    Participant

So I have had a friend who is suffering from depression lately. I try sites to suggest and help me how to treat him but it is only 70% effective. How can I help a friend who is suffer from depression? More background: He travels oversea to study because he wants to go away to hide his problem but it’s recently got more problematic as he has to work nearly full-time to finance his study. He likes art too but give up because he thinks he draws badly

maye
    Participant

So I have had a friend who is suffering from depression lately. I try sites to suggest and help me how to treat him but it is only 70% effective. How can I help a friend who is suffer from depression? More background: He travels oversea to study because he wants to go away to hide his problem but it’s recently got more problematic as he has to work nearly full-time to finance his study. He likes art too but give up because he thinks he draws badly

Certainly the depression is a very complex mental, a way to help a friend with depression is trying to be empathetic, put in place is not easy but if we do we can understand a little, try to be patient, listen and in some way make him see what is best for him or her, in the end the sick person of depression must be aware of his illness and seek professional help.

selen sia
    Participant

Not totally sure what depression is or what it means for your friend? A really great first step in helping your friend is to find out more about depression – which will help you better understand what they’re going through. If your friend feels like talking, ask them how they’re going. Try asking questions like, “What can I do to help?” and “What do you find helpful?” When you want to bring up a sensitive issue with a friend, try to choose a time and place when you’re both comfortable and relaxed. It’s a good idea to avoid talking to them about it if they’re upset.If someone is suffering from symptoms of depression, it isn’t possible for them just to ‘snap out of it’, ‘cheer up’ or ‘forget about it’. When you listen to them and validate their feelings by saying things like ‘That must be really hard’ or ‘I’m here when you want to talk’, they’ll know you’re taking their feelings seriously.

Sven Hunski
    Participant

I would suggest that you try to occupy him in soke sort of way. That would put his mind off the depression. Spending time with him would help a lot also. If nothing works seek a psychologist but i dont recommend taking anti depressive pills. Best of luck

Viewing 4 posts - 1 through 4 (of 4 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.

Warning: call_user_func_array() expects parameter 1 to be a valid callback, function 'ghostpool_reset_password_success' not found or invalid function name in /home/medell9/public_html/wp-includes/class-wp-hook.php on line 286